This is a picture of what I thought I was getting….
This is what I got…and I have only been here thirty minutes!
Oh, there is nothing like the great outdoors to relax you! You are with friends and family, you have brought your favorite games, Andy Griffith is ready to be popped in the DVD, Gracie is resting with her favorite toy snuggled against her, what in life could be wrong with this picture? I am so glad you asked. Let me list it all!
1. Hubby got a new battery for the travel trailer. The old one was “dead”. When He hooked up the new one sparks flew everywhere!
2. He comes in a hot, sweaty mess and tells me the new battery is too big and he traded in the old one so it can’t be charged.
3. I say, “Call Daddy!”
4. Hubby calls Daddy and Daddy fixes it in seconds. Hubby had the wrong wires hooked up and blew the electrical system out. Daddy fixes all.
5. We didn’t need a new battery, and the new one won’t fit. Yep, Daddy fixed that, too!
6. Hubby gets ready to hook up the trailer and blows the electrical system out again.
6. I forget half my grocery list.
7. We get to the campground and I use the restroom and when I flush…well, you can guess.
8. I call hubby to come in, NOW and fix the toilet. “Now” to hubby is fifteen minutes later.
9. I ask hubby what he thinks “now” means and he tells me our cousins next door don’t have heat in their new trailer and he was in the middle of that. We give each other “Help me be patient” looks!
10. A nest of wasps try to attack hubby and cousins as they try to fix the heat.
11. It is 106 degrees in the shade, I am menopausal and the air won’t cool.
12. I start digging for my ashwagandha!!!!!!
13. My cousin forgot to defrost the meat and we haven’t eaten all day, plus I forgot half my grocery list! I was supposed to bring half the food.
14. I forgot to put a puppy pad down for Gracie, she is crying, I wonder what on earth is wrong with her and then I find out all over the carpet!
That is just a small list of “it”. But things did get better. My cousin came over while I was blogging and I stopped to talk to her. She tells me things she remembers when we were little girls and I tell her things I remember. We stroll down memory lane for a bit and soon the list above is forgotten, peace settles into the trailer, I am clean and Gracie is sleeping blissfully beside me.
For a moment the world and all of its chaos stops and it isn’t even 2013 anymore. We recall the days of the great revivals and the fervor people had in serving God and gathering in His presence back then. I am so blessed I lived in that time. I am so blessed I reconnected with my sweet cousin. I am so blessed our husbands enjoy each other’s company and we are all of like precious faith!
Now the list doesn’t seem to even matter! My aunt and uncle are coming and there will be more talks of the “good ole days” and I will have yet another memory to rack up to that list after tonight. Suddenly, the ”great outdoors” really does seem great. Have a great July 4th, precious reader! I know I will! Simply, Juliana